Identity (ID) theft
ID theft occurs when someone gains access to your personal information such as name, date of birth and Social Security number (SSN), and uses that information to commit fraudulent acts.
Don’t let identity thieves cost you time and money
Know the warning signs of ID theft so you can act right away:
- You notice unauthorized activity on your bank account or new accounts on your credit report.
- You receive unexpected letters and calls from debt collectors about loans or other debt that you don’t owe.
- You’re notified by the IRS that there’s a possible issue with your tax return, or that your return was previously filed in your name.
- You’re alerted that your account was accessed from a new device you don’t recognize.
- You’re billed for medical services you didn’t receive.
- You no longer receive bills and bank statements in the mail.
- You’re unexpectedly denied credit.