skip to main content

Roy & Christine Sturgis Charitable Trust

Proposal due March 1
Program type Arts, Culture, & Humanities; Education; Health; Human Services
Area served AR, TX
Restrictions None
Grant history MapChart

Mission

The Roy & Christine Sturgis Charitable Trust was established in 1981 to support and promote quality educational, cultural, human services and health care programming for all people.

Roy Sturgis was one of ten children of an Arkansas farmer and homemaker. He dropped out of school after the tenth grade to join the Navy during World War I. Mr. Sturgis returned to his family home in southern Arkansas after the war and went to work in the local sawmills. In 1933, Roy Sturgis married Texas native Christine Johns. They became very successful in the timber, lumber and sawmill industries in Arkansas, owned other prosperous business enterprises and had notable success managing their investments. Mr. and Mrs. Sturgis spent most of their lives in Arkansas and Dallas, Texas. They did not have children, but were particularly interested in educational opportunities for young people. In addition, Mr. and Mrs. Sturgis supported organizations working in the areas of health, social services and the arts.

Guidelines

The application deadline for the Roy & Christine Sturgis Charitable Trust is March 1. Applicants will be notified of grant decisions before June 30.

The majority of grants from the Sturgis Charitable Trust are 1 year in duration. On occasion, multi-year support is awarded.

Please note, if an organization receives either a one-year grant or a multi-year grant from the Sturgis Trust and wants to reapply, they must skip a year before submitting a subsequent application, i.e., an organization that receives a grant in June is not eligible to reapply until the March deadline, 18 months after the end of the grant award cycle.

Grants are awarded to qualified charitable organizations in both Arkansas and Texas. Approximately 65% of the Trust's annual distributions are made within the state of Arkansas. The remaining 35% of grants are distributed within the state of Texas. For grants made within the state of Texas, strong preference is given to organizations located in the Dallas area.

The Sturgis Charitable Trust encourages requests for the following types of grants: capital, project-related, medical research, and endowment campaigns. Funding for start-up programs and limited general operating requests will also be considered.

Bank contact

To discuss the application process or for questions about this foundation, contact us:

tx.philanthropic@ustrust.com

Please indicate the foundation name in the email subject line.

Detailed foundation contact information can be found in the Procedures

Bank contact

To discuss the application process or for questions about this foundation, contact us:

tx.philanthropic@ustrust.com

Please indicate the foundation name in the email subject line.

Detailed foundation contact information can be found in the Procedures